Speech by Dr R Theyvendran, Scholarship & Bursary Awards 2019Speeches
AFTERNOON SESSION (PM)
SPEECH BY DR R THEYVENDRAN, PBM, SECRETARY-GENERAL OF THE MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE OF SINGAPORE
AT THE 24TH MDIS SCHOLARSHIP & BURSARY
AWARDS CEREMONY 2019
ON SATURDAY, 25 MAY 2019 AT 1.00PM
SAMTAS HALL, LEVEL 2, MDIS CAMPUS
Mr Seah Kian Peng, Member of Parliament for Marine Parade GRC;
Mr Victor Wong, Patron of MDIS;
Mr Lim How Kim, Trustee of MDIS Education Trust Fund;
Dr Eric Kuan, President of MDIS;
Mr Roger Tham, Honorary Treasurer of MDIS;
Scholarship and Bursary Award recipients;
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. A very warm welcome to all, to the MDIS 24th Scholarship & Bursary Awards Ceremony. My heartiest congratulations to those who will be receiving the scholarship and bursary awards today. This award is testament to all the hard work you have put in, together with the support of your families and teachers who nurtured and guided you on your learning journey.
Education as the Key to Success
2. We believe that education is the key to a bright future. Access to education should be available to everyone, regardless of their social background. In support of this notion, MDIS has been awarding scholarships and bursaries to deserving students from all walks of life for the past 24 years, and will continue its efforts as a corporate citizen for the good of the society.
3. Deserving students with financial difficulties are not excluded from the opportunity to further their pursuit in education as well. At the end of the day, we believe that it is not where you come from, but how you move forward (especially through education) that plays an important role in paving the way to success. Everyone should have access to education, as education is the key to success. Every little effort goes a long way in making your dreams come true.
MDIS Education Trust Fund
4. To this end, the MDIS Education Trust Fund was established in 1999 aimed at supporting needy and deserving students facing financial difficulties in pursuing their education in Singapore. This helps in bridging the financial gap and providing an equal opportunity for students to excel.
5. Over the years, MDIS has awarded close to 8,000 scholarships and bursaries totaling nearly S$6 million. This year, we are proud to award over 400 bursaries and scholarships to commendable students, amounting to $247,000. The scholarships and bursaries are awarded to students from Secondary schools, ITEs, Junior Colleges and Polytechnics.
6. In support of the notion of being an all-inclusive society, we also recognise the strengths of our special needs students who are no less deserving of this award. Bursary awards to children from the Special Education Schools were first awarded in 2016, in conjunction with MDIS’ 60th Anniversary and we have since continued with the tradition. In total MDIS has awarded 112 bursaries worth about $50,000 to date, to children from the Special Education Schools.
7. In addition, we are awarding the Special Bursary worth $5,000 each to two beneficiaries. With this, we hope to alleviate the family’s financial burden and significant medical expenses, and to ensure that the student is able to focus on their studies with this relief.
8. For our recipients here today, we hope that the bursary and awards that you will receive today will brighten your pathway ahead of you. Though the journey may be arduous, always remember that it is true grit and determination that propels you closer to success. As Benjamin Franklin once said, “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
9. Thank you.