Private Education Act & EduTrust Certification Scheme
With the introduction of the Private Education Act in December 2009, the Committee for Private Education (CPE), part of SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) was set up to regulate the private education sector in Singapore. All Private Education Institutions (PEIs) are required to comply with the regulations under the new Act in order to operate.
Standard PEI - Student Contract
The Standard PEI - Student Contract is a legal binding contract between MDIS Pte Ltd and its students that embodies the following mandatory requirements:
- Clear definition of the course details - course title, pre-requisites, qualification awarded, course duration
- Full disclosure of all costs for tuition and non-tuition fees
- Commitment to the Fee Protection Scheme
- Clear definition of dispute resolution mechanisms
- Clear definition of the refund policy
All students are required to sign the Standard PEI - Student Contract upon enrolment before making any course fees payment.
Fee Protection Scheme
With the introduction of the Private Education Bill, all students' fees will be insured under the Fee Protection Scheme (FPS).
The FPS serves to protect the international and local student's fees in the event that a Private Education Institution (PEI) is unable to continue operations due to insolvency and/or regulatory closure. Furthermore, the FPS protects the student if the PEI fails to pay penalties or to return fees to students arising from judgements made against it by the Singapore Courts.
- MDIS Pte Ltd adopts the FPS Insurance for international and local students. The FPS Insurance offers insured students protection against the following events:
- Loss of course fees paid in advance by the insured student to MDIS Pte Ltd and not refunded, if the student cannot start or complete his/her course as a result of MDIS Pte Ltd becoming insolvent or being required by the Singapore authorities to stop operations.
- MDIS Pte Ltd fails to pay the sum awarded by Singapore Courts to the insured student, where such an award relates to a dispute between MDIS Pte Ltd and the insured student on course fees paid by the insured student to MDIS Pte Ltd.
- S$10,000 benefit payable covering the insured student's accidental death or total permanent disability by accident.
MDIS Pte Ltd has appointed LONPAC Insurance Bhd and Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd to be the FPS providers for our students. The insurance coverage will be for the entire course fee and any course fees arising from an extension of the study period longer than the initially planned study period (if applicable).
Certificate of Insurance
Upon payment of the insurance premium, LONPAC Insurance Bhd/Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd will issue a Certificate of Insurance to the insured student directly via email.
The insured student needs to produce his/her Certificate of Insurance and original course fees receipts when submitting a claim under the insurance. LONPAC Insurance Bhd/Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd will notify all insured students of the relevant claim procedures to be followed.
MDIS Pte Ltd has in place a medical insurance scheme by Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd for all its students (except those students specifically allowed to opt out under the EduTrust certification scheme). The fee payable for the medical insurance is indicated in the fee schedule of the student contract.
This medical insurance scheme shall provide a basic annual coverage limit of not less than $20,000 per student in the B1 ward in government and restructured hospitals and up to overall maximum limit per policy year, with 24 hours coverage in Singapore and overseas (if the student is involved in the school-related activities) throughout the course duration.
For more information on the Private Education Act, please log on to the following website: http://www.cpe.gov.sg